Re: pg_dumpall and pg_dumps

From: Simone Tellini <tellini(at)areabusiness(dot)it>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall and pg_dumps
Date: 2002-02-21 18:15:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:53:59 -0500

TL> There are known problems in reloading 7.1 dumps into 7.2 if you use
TL> mixed-case user names or database names; might that be the source
TL> of some of your problems? Are there other problems?

while you're at it, there are 2 other problems I've always experienced
with pg_dump/pg_dumpall:

1. it fails to restore databases owned by users who aren't allowed to
create databases: the dump contains a "CREATE USER x NOCREATEDB"
line at the top, then tries to \connect x and CREATE DATABASE y,
which obviously fails. It should always use CREATEDB for all users,
then remove the privilege at the end of the dump when appropriate.

2. you can't specify username and password on the command line: this
makes it impossible to backup automatically all the databases from a
cron script if you use password authentication, for instance.

It would be nice to have those fixed for good. ;-)

--

Simone Tellini
E-mail: tellini(at)areabusiness(dot)it