Re: pgsql/doc TODO

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Bruce Momjian - CVS <momjian(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql/doc TODO
Date: 2002-02-21 21:48:30
Lists: pgsql-committers
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian - CVS writes:
> > * Allow ability to easily build only certain interfaces (Marc)
> > We already have that:
> > make -C /what/ever install
>
> The ability is there in theory, but it's not documented very well.
> And I think Marc was also complaining about the download time to
> pull a full tarball when he only wanted to build client-side code.
>
> Couldn't we construct a package that's just client-side code plus
> configure/build support?

Correct, that is what I was/am looking for ... I have no qualms about
leaving everything in the one central CVS, but would love to have our
currently 'distribution split' ability extended so that we'd have a:

postgresql-jdbc.tar.gz
postgresql-perl5.tar.gz
postgresql-libpq.tar.gz

tar files split out ... I'd like to be able to download a couple of k tar
file of libpq to install on a client machine, rather then have to download
an 8+ and growing Meg file just for a couple of k worth of files ...