Re: UTF-8 data migration problem in Postgresql 7.2

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: UTF-8 data migration problem in Postgresql 7.2
Date: 2002-02-20 15:15:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

> > Why don't you edit the output from pg_dump? It's just a text file.
> I edited the output in Yudit. Nothing seems to be wrong.

I don't know anything about Yuedit, but I guess it skips wrong UTF-8
sequences. I see an encoding converter called "lv" does something like
that. Maybe filtering the file using such kind of tools and save the
result to a file then input to psql works fine.

> > > Why did 7.1.3 allow the input of such data?
> > It's just becuase no data validation checking was there before 7.2.
> Data was entered by a Japanese translator using IE5.5, japanese fonts, Win2K,
> Apache and Php with UTF-8 extensions. How can it be wrong? It displays well
> under IE5.5.

I do not trust M$ products:-)

> Are you sure it is not a PostgreSQL 7.1.3 pg_dump related bug?
> Other users have the same problem when migrating to 7.2.

Hard to believe it's a pg_dump bug.

> Furthermore, do you think I can migrate data using ODBC adodb calls?

I'm totally unsure about ODBC. Hiroshi, what do you think?
--
Tatsuo Ishii