Re: [ODBC] UTF-8 data migration problem in Postgresql 7.2

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: [ODBC] UTF-8 data migration problem in Postgresql 7.2
Date: 2002-02-20 17:13:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

> Does your Apache/PHP environment set any particular client encoding?
> I am wondering if Apache is seeing a different translation of the
> database contents than what pg_dump got.
I recompiled PHP with UTF-8 internal encoding. So no transcoding is performed.

> BTW, it seems entirely likely that Windows apps might display something
> for UTF-8 sequences that are invalid according to the published specs.
> It'd be just like Microsoft to "extend" the standard...

It might be the case, I agree. Could it be a problem of surface (UCS-2
characters embedded in UTF-8)? PostgreSQL 7.3 should accept more UTF-8
characters anyway as I can display all Japanese characters. Many users may
have the same problem. So why filter?

Again, Ithe problem might also come from pg_dump. The database has French and
Dutch content. There are also errors in the Dutch file... Is there a way to
perform some testing?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE