Re: Hebrew support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Dannyl(at)barak(dot)net(dot)il" <dannyl(at)barak(dot)net(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hebrew support
Date: 2002-02-19 09:07:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-admin pgsql-general

> Jean-Michel.. if you are reading, have you had any more thoughts on this?
> If we knock up a test app, can you test on any of you machines? We could at
> least then allow the pgAdmin user to select the font, and have them
> download a suitable one if required.
Dear Dave,

It is not a problem of fonts:
- Some VB controls support UCS-2 unicode and others do not.
- PostgreSQL odbc driver does not support UCS-2 yet.

UCS-2 has been added to the odbc to do list.
http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php * Unicode(UCS-2) support

So, even if odbc supported UCS-2 Unicode, I am not sure
pgAdmin2 would be able to display Hebrew data because of VB limitations.

The only really UCS-2 compatible $W product seems to be Access2K.

A solution would be to use Windows Hebrew encoding server-side in PotsgreSQL.
I don't know if is workable.

Regards,
Jean-Michel