Re: [ODBC] Unicode support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Nhan Ngo Dinh <nngodinh(at)tiscali(dot)it>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] Unicode support
Date: 2002-02-19 08:27:56
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgsql-odbc
Dear Nhan Dgo,

Please CC pg-odbc and pgadmin lists so that anyone can participate.

> I'm currently running Microsoft SQL Server 2000 on a Windows 2000 Server
> platform, but this is only to read the source database. I don't know how to
> retrieve the source encoding... It should be UNICODE since it stores both
> LATIN1 and arabic chars.

I am not sure. There should be a way to run a select statement to know what
encoding is used internally. Search the $W website.

> The target platform is Linux with PostgreSQL 7.2 and PHP/Apache of course
> and this shouldn't be a problem for me.

Don't try to view data in the Windows platform, this will not work because
pgAdmin2 and the odbc driver are not utf-8 compatible.

Make sure to migrate the schema first using pgAdmin2. Then export text and
convert it using iconv or recode (if not utf-8 yet). Maybe you can try to
open the text files in Yudit, the multi-byte text editor, which will tell you
what encoding is used.

Try to write a simple script under PHP. Please note the testing php page 1)
should be saved in utf-8 format 2) and should carry utf-8 headers to tell the
browser to switch to utf-8. Be sure your browser has the arabic fonts (go to
an arabic web site to verify).

Good luck my friend.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE

pgsql-odbc by date

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2002-02-19 08:34:13