Bug #591: Postgres apparently not identifying users created in Caps

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #591: Postgres apparently not identifying users created in Caps
Date: 2002-02-16 18:22:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ricardo J. Mndez Castro (rmendez(at)sheertalent(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
Postgres apparently not identifying users created in Caps

Long Description
I'm unable to change the password for an user after creating it with some of the letters in caps. Here are the steps I'm following (from my user on a Linux machine):

su -
su - postgresql
createuser Test; (I don't give him any superuser rights)
psql -d testdatabase; (whichever database)

Inside psql, I then do:

alter user Test with password 'testpwd';

I then get an error message stating that the user 'test' (no caps) isn't known to the system. Logging in with the user Test with

psql -d testdatabase -U Test;

does work. The only problem is in changing the password from psql. I WAS able to change the password from pgAdmin II.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report