Re: Function Hangs

From: Stephen Ingram <ingram(at)samsix(dot)com>
To: "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function Hangs
Date: 2002-02-13 20:11:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 02:48 pm, Patrick Hatcher wrote:
> I found the Postmaster startup file. Here is the start params:
>
> su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster -o "
> -i" start >/dev/null 2>&1"
>
> would the name of the log file go where the /dev/null is?

Hi,

Josh will answer anyway ( :) ), but this tripped me up too when I started.

I know the idea is for it to be configured for ones own site,
but it seems this is one of the first questions people who start
with PG ask.

It would be kind of nice if the startup scripts came as

POSTMASTER_LOG=${POSTMASTER_LOG:-"/tmp/postmaster.log"}
export POSTMASTER_LOG

su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster -o "-i"
start >${POSTMASTER_LOG} 2>&1"

or some such.

Just waffling on...

Steve