Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: Jason Watkins <jason_watkins(at)pobox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-01-30 16:15:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Jason Watkins wrote:

> Indeed, it is important, simply because this business operates 24/7. I
> simply have to have some way to run 2 servers at once so that everything can
> fall over if one fails. There seem to be a couple middle ware things out
> there designed to do connection pooling, but so far I can't find out for
> sure if they support failover.

One more issue regarding 24x7. Until 7.2 is out there are certain
operations , vacuum analyze , vacuum(?), which lock the entire database.
So be aware of this.

I believe 7.2 is around the corner so you may start develoment with 7.1.3
and go production when 7.2 is out.

Have you talked to the folks at pgsql.com about their replication? It may
be good to email/call them to see if what they have satisfies your needs.