Re: pg_dump/PgAdmin problem?

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Wood <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump/PgAdmin problem?
Date: 2002-01-29 21:52:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Gregory Wood" <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com> writes:
> > I've tracked down the problem and it seems it doesn't like two view
> > definitions (pgadmin_sequences and pgadmin_tables), and therefore the
> > subsequent GRANTs. The views are at the end of the email.
>
> The views are difficult to do much with when we can't run them through
> the software ... which we can't do without the context of the underlying
> table definitions. Could you provide the complete schema dump
> (pg_dump -s)?

My guess is the problem is that the views use column(func(params))
which get output by pg_dump as func(params).column. I can replicate in
7.2beta4 with a simpler case, but haven't looked any further.

create table eee1( a int, b int);
create function foo1(int) returns eee1 as 'select * from eee1
limit 1;' language 'sql';
create view vv1 as select b(foo1(3));

sszabo(at)bills:~ $ pg_dump -s -t vv1 sszabo
--
-- Selected TOC Entries:
--

--
-- TOC Entry ID 2 (OID 4938784)

CREATE VIEW "vv1" as SELECT foo1(3).b AS b;

sszabo(at)bills:~ $ pg_dump -s -t vv1 sszabo | psql
You are now connected as new user sszabo.
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "."