Re: running make after ./configure results in error

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Raymond Wee <rcw823(at)asking(dot)com(dot)ph>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: running make after ./configure results in error
Date: 2002-01-25 14:44:00
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Raymond,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:32:56PM +0800, Raymond Wee wrote:
> Thanks! The make was finally successful, in step 9 of the document it says:
>
> 9. initdb
>                  Note that the owner of the DB system have to be different
> from root/administrator
>
> what does this mean? sorry, im kinda new in this.

Under Unix, postmaster will refuse to run under the root account.
Under Windows the analogous accounts to a avoid are Administrator and
LocalSystem.  Although, Cygwin PostgreSQL does not check for these
accounts and will run under them.

> some documents I've searched mentioned performing the following
>
> cmd /c lusrmgr.msc # [3]
> cmd /c secpol.msc [4]
>
> I think I have already done this and I have a postgres user existing
> already,

Good -- you are reading my README.  For production use, it is best to
run postmaster under an ordinary but separate account such as postgres.
For personal, just run under your own user account.

> however when I try to login using cygwin, it says login incorrect.
> Could you please teach me what is wrong? Thanks a lot!

Cygwin's login will only work if it is running under an account with the
appropriate privileges such as LocalSystem.  My suggestion is to use
ssh to simulate login.  Please read the READMEs in /usr/doc/Cygwin for
more details.

Jason