Re: RTREE Index on primary key generated by a sequence

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)IDEALX(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RTREE Index on primary key generated by a sequence
Date: 2002-01-25 13:54:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 09:56:18AM +0100,
Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)IDEALX(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I was at first Oracle DBA, I've been told many times at
> professional trainings that when there is a table wich primary key is
> generated by a sequence, it is worth create a RTREE index on it rather
> than a BTREE (for index balancing reasons).

The documentation gives the specific algorithms used:
The B-tree index is an implementation of Lehman-Yao high-concurrency
B-trees. The R-tree index method implements standard R-trees using
Guttman's quadratic split algorithm. The hash index is an
implementation of Litwin's linear hashing. We mention the algorithms
used solely to indicate that all of these access methods are fully
dynamic and do not have to be optimized periodically (as is the case
with, for example, static hash access methods).