Re: RTREE Index on primary key generated by a sequence

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)IDEALX(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RTREE Index on primary key generated by a sequence
Date: 2002-01-25 13:54:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 09:56:18AM +0100,
  Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)IDEALX(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I was at first Oracle DBA, I've been told many times at
> professional trainings that when there is a table wich primary key is
> generated by a sequence, it is worth create a RTREE index on it rather
> than a BTREE (for index balancing reasons).

The documentation gives the specific algorithms used:
The B-tree index is an implementation of Lehman-Yao high-concurrency
   B-trees. The R-tree index method implements standard R-trees using
   Guttman's quadratic split algorithm. The hash index is an
   implementation of Litwin's linear hashing. We mention the algorithms
   used solely to indicate that all of these access methods are fully
   dynamic and do not have to be optimized periodically (as is the case
   with, for example, static hash access methods).