Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date: 2002-01-24 19:14:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Devogelaere <michael(at)digibel(dot)be> writes:
> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:11:39PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> What showed up in the postmaster log when this happened? I would like
> >> *exact* error message texts, not approximations.
> > Nothing. I disabled all logging since the database responded too slowly
> > with logging turned on. So i cannot help you on this.
>
> If you're not going to be cooperative, then I don't see how you expect
> us to fix the problem.
>
> FWIW, I don't believe for a moment that /dev/null'ing the postmaster log
> improves performance measurably. I've done plenty of profiling in my
> time, and never seen any indication that it's an issue; at least not at
> the default verbosity level.
>
> >> What happened when you tried to connect with psql? Again, exact, not
> >> approximate.
> > psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
> > Is the postmaster running locally
> > and accepting connection on Unix socket ...
>
> No such file?? Hard to believe that that could happen while the
> postmaster was still running. Unless something else had decided to
> delete the socket file from /tmp. The postmaster certainly would not
> do it.

Haven't there been some over enthusiastic cleanup scripts in
some Linux distro's, that removed the socket from /tmp
because of it's age?

Anyway, so in summary:

1. The test case was the *well known* MySQL favorite suite;
Simple one-table read-only access with myriads of
connect's.

2. The *well known* fact that PostgreSQL out of the box is
not configured for production was ignored.

3. Any possibility to track down the reasons for problems
was disabled.

4. Instead of investigating what the problem is, PostgreSQL
was reported to *Crash*.

It cannot get any more obvious.

Jan