Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Michael Devogelaere <michael(at)digibel(dot)be>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date: 2002-01-24 16:40:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Michael Devogelaere wrote:
> >     As  the  doc  says,  all  done  totally untuned. And CRASH by
> >     itself doesn't say anything. A little more precise  would  be
> >     good.
> Ok: the client reported something like:
> "Unexpected EOF from PostgreSQL-backend". When looking with ps aux, i noted
> that all postmaster-childs where <defunct>. I couldn't connect anymore with
> psql (i aborted the test and no other processes tried to access the database
> since my machine was in single user mode). After killing the master process and
> restarting, the database worked fine.

    Looks like leftover or not fast enough reaped old connections
    that fill up all possible backend  slots  (default  max  32).
    Persistent   connections   is   definitely   something   that
    PostgreSQL likes.

> >     Other  than  that,  once  again one of these mostly read only
> >     scenarios with simple queries where it is well known  that  a
> >     real database cannot compete.
> True: i planned two tests. One big read-only test and then another which would
> add simulation of pop-logins. After a successful pop-login the field
> 'lastlogin' is updated. But i didn't run that test since postgresql already
> failed the simple read-only test.

    As said, "simple read-only" is not really something you  want
    a  full  featured  RDBMS for. Maybe you are better off with a
    simple and stupid system on the  feature  level  of  gdbm  or
    MySql.

Jan