Re: Add OR REPLACE clauses to non-FUNCTION object creation

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add OR REPLACE clauses to non-FUNCTION object creation
Date: 2002-01-23 21:05:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Mercredi 23 Janvier 2002 15:16, Gavin Sherry a écrit :
> > > There is a strong need for :
> > > - CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW,
> > > - CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER.
> > I intend to do this.
> > Gavin
>
> Gavin, you suddenly became the community hero. Can you hear the screems of
> your fans? There is a crowd waiting for you. Where can I get a t-shirt with
> your name on it?

But please don't forget that simply overwriting an existing
pg_proc tuple will not cause a persistent database connection
to use the new version. PL/Tcl and PL/pgSQL for example cache
the precompiled procedure based on it's oid. So at least
think of a version count that get's bumped and checked in the
PL handlers.

Jan