Large Objects

From: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)idealx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large Objects
Date: 2002-01-23 10:49:27
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi all,

I searched to know more about LARGE OBJECTS. Since I come from Oracle
world, I first checked section DATATYPES in the admin guide... I read
about the CREATE DATATYPE, but I couldn't figure out with this with
Large Objects..

I knew that PostgreSQL support long datatypes but I wanted to implement
it in my database (got to store images .jpg ...).

Searching the doc around and around, I finaly found on
developers.postgresql.org the dev projects and TOAST project.

I read line « TOAST implemented in 7.1 » !!!

Since I am in 7.1.3 I search the doc (nasty grep) about TOAST.

I found then all the doc on Large Objects in the Programmer's Guide
section « client interfaces » :-)

Is this a good place for that? Maybe yes, because thinking about what
does the backend to store these oid's...

So my request is « Please add a link from DATATYPE pages to theses pages
about Large Object ».. Just to let know people like me that Large
Objects can be stored in PostgreSQL.

Thanks in advance!

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO IDEALX S.A.S
Consultant bases de données 15-17, av. de Ségur