Re: location for pgdata

From: "Jules Alberts" <julesa(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location for pgdata
Date: 2002-01-10 15:12:36
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 10 Jan 2002 at 8:02, Jason Earl wrote:
> "Jules Alberts" <julesa(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl> writes:
<snip>
> > since the (test) server will be mainly a database server, i made my
> > /var the biggest partition and put the pg data in there. but, is there
> > any convention or default on where pg data are placed? i ask this to
> > make sure i don't run into trouble with an upgrade / RPM / DEB by
> > making an exotic choice now.
>
> Debian puts the PostgreSQL data in /var/lib/postgres and the PGDG RPMs
> (the ones that PostgreSQL produces) puts the data in /var/lib/pgsql .

thanks Jason!

i think i'll go for /var/lib/pgsql, especially since my RPM install
already created that dir. i didn't notice it wat there until you
mentioned it.

> One other thing to think about.  If your machine has more than one hard
> drive moving the pg_xlog directory to another spindle (and using a
> symlink in your data directory) can really be helpful performance wise,
> but you want to have plenty of room for the log files to grow.

thanks, i'll remember that. right now it's just one harddisk with a ca.
8gb /var partition on which performance isn't important. when it
eventually goes into production however...

--
Jules Alberts.