Re: ECPG bug in --help

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: ECPG bug in --help
Date: 2002-01-06 16:36:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 04:02:14PM +0000, Lee Kindness wrote:
> Michael, hope you've had a good Christmas & all the best for the New
> Year...

Sure. Thanks.

> When you run 'ecpg --help' you get the following:
>
> 	  -t   turn on autocommit of transactions
>
> amongst the other options... Shouldn't this be OFF as per the
> documentation?

No, this is correct. However, there are some problems in the wording.
autocommit means "use the default transactions from PGSQL" while
auto-transaction mode means to "start a new transaction after each commit".
The latter is the way Oracle handles this, you just have to issue commits
but no begin trans. The first of course is the very same as working with
pgsql.

This needs some clearer wording urgently. I haven't checked Bruce changes so
far.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes