Re: Bug #548: Misleading documentation of `palloc'

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hkrug(at)rationalizer(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #548: Misleading documentation of `palloc'
Date: 2002-01-03 08:13:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Developer's FAQ updated to:

    <P><I>palloc()</I> and <I>pfree()</I> are used in place of malloc()
    and free() because we find it easier to automatically free all
    memory allocated when a query completes. This assures us that all
    memory that was allocated gets freed even if we have lost track of
    where we allocated it. There are special non-query contexts that
    memory can be allocated in. These affect when the allocated memory
    is freed by the backend.</P>