Re: make createlang match docs

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make createlang match docs
Date: 2002-01-03 05:29:27
Lists: pgsql-patches
Marko Kreen wrote:
> > > You give a database to act on, like to other scripts, then it
> > > asks what language to install.
> >
> > But since it respects PGHOST and should use a database name the same as
> > your user name, that usage is degenerate with "createlang newlanguage".
> > Isn't it? Or shouldn't it be?
>
> Well, it does not respect PGDATABASE nor uses username as
> default - and making it do so changes the current behaviour...
>
> Although I think too 'createlang langname' would be saner.

I was going to add this to TODO:

	Change 'createlang [langname] dbname' to 'createlang langname [dbname]'

However, when I started to look at the createlang script, I saw:

                if [ "$list" != "t" ]
                then    langname="$1"
                        if [ "$2" ]
                        then
                                shift
                                dbname="$1"
                        fi
                else    dbname="$1"
                fi

which said that dbname was already behaving as optional, even though
there was code to handle a missing langname.

Rather than change the script to make langname optional, I have fixed
the script to work the way everyone wants it to work, namely dbname is
now optional.  I grabbed the dbname default code from createdb.

Applied to CVS with doc updates.  Patch attached.

Also, can someone explain why we have a createlang.sh?  Makefile shows:

	createlang: createlang.sh
	        cp $< $@
	        chmod a+x $@

Not much doing there.