Re: Thoughts on the location of configuration files

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the location of configuration files
Date: 2001-12-24 03:35:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I have an idea for the Unix socket file permissions and local 'trust'
> > permissoins as default. Right now we allow the socket permissions to be
> > set in postgresql.conf, but that seems like the wrong place for it.
>
> > Suppose we add an option to pg_hba.conf for 'local' connections called
> > 'singleuser' and 'singlegroup' which set enable socket permissions
> > only for the postgres super-user or his group.
>
> That strikes me as (a) not better, and (b) not backwards compatible.
> What's the point?

Well, the problem with backward compatibility here is that now we have
pg_hba.conf to configure some part of local authentication and
postgresql.conf to configure the other part. Seems quite confusing to
me. If you would prefer, we could allow specification of the socket
permissions in pg_hba.conf.

Aren't the socket permissions best dealt with in pg_hba.conf?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us