Re: NULL values or not?

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Archibald Zimonyi <archie(at)netg(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NULL values or not?
Date: 2001-12-21 12:29:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Archibald Zimonyi wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a question about NULL values. Lets say that we have a world with
> the following info:
>
> FirstName
> LastName
> PhoneNumber
>

> Everyone has to have a FirstName and LastName but not everyone has to have
> a PhoneNumber.

I don't know of any particular, but I can imagine cultures
where people don't have first or last names. For sure alot of
people on this earth don't have a mailing address that'd fit
into the "usual" schema. Don't make the schema too scattered
just to avoid NULLs. Wether you like them or not doesn't
matter, use them where they are handy.

Jan