Re: 7.2 is slow?

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: mathijs(at)ilse(dot)nl
Cc: hannu(at)tm(dot)ee, bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.2 is slow?
Date: 2001-12-17 14:12:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > How did you test ?
> >
> > I could do the same test on Dual Pentium III / 800 w/1024 MB
> > with IBM 45 G/7200 IDE disk.
> >
> > So we could compare different platforms as well :)
> I could do some testing on a Sun 450 / 4x400 MHz / 4 GB, if that's helpful.
> Cheers,
> Mathijs

> I'll have 4 way and 8 way xeon boxes tues evening that I can test this
> against (though I won't get to test till wed unless I don't sleep)
> - Brandon

Thanks to everyone. Here are the methods I used for testings including
generating graphs (actually very simple).

(1) Tweak postgresql.conf to allow large concurrent users. I tested up
    to 1024 on AIX, but for the comparison I think testing up to 128
    users is enough. Here are example settings:

    max_connections = 128
    shared_buffers = 4096
    deadlock_timeout = 100000

    You might want to tweak wal_sync_method to get the best
    performance. However this should not affect the comparison between
    7.1 and 7.2.

(2) Run:

    It will invoke pgbench for various concurrent users. So you need
    to install pgbench beforehand (it's in contrib/pgbench. Just type
    make install there to install pgbench).

    This will take while.

(3) (2) will generate a file named "". The file have rows
        where the first column is the number of concurrent users and
        second one is the tps. Rename it to

(4) Do (1) and (2) for PostgreSQL 7.1 and rename to

(5) Run to see the result graph. Note that requires
Tatsuo Ishii