7.2 is slow?

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 7.2 is slow?
Date: 2001-12-17 06:46:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

With the freshly retrieved current source, now PostgreSQL is running
fine on an AIX 5L box. Thanks Tom.

BTW, I have done some benchmarking using pgbench on this machine and
found that 7.2 is almost two times slower than 7.1. The hardware is a
4way machine. Since I thought that 7.2 improves the performance for
SMP machines, I'm now wondering why 7.2 is so slow.

postgresql.conf paramters changed from default values are:

max_connections = 1024
wal_sync_method = fdatasync
shared_buffers = 4096
deadlock_timeout = 1000000

configure option is: --enable-multibyte=EUC_JP

Of cousre, these setting are identical for both 7.1 and 7.2.

See attached graph...

Attachment Content-Type Size
image/png 5.7 KB