Re: Red Hat 7.2 Bug

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: "Roger" <roger(at)teleline(dot)es>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 7.2 Bug
Date: 2001-12-14 14:04:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thursday 13 December 2001 05:47 pm, Roger wrote:
> I recently installing Red Hat 7.2. One of RPM were your PostgreSql. I thing
> that there is a bug in the instalallation. Packet is installed correctlt
> with no error messages. When I try to init server by (etc/init.d/postgresql
> start) the Linux says all is OK. But when I make a port Scan the PostfreSql
> Port (5432) is not openened and PostMaster process is running. In redHat
> 7.1 all was ok.... But 7.2....

Two things:
1.) RH 7.1 shipped with PostgreSQL 7.0, which was by default set up to listen
on TCP/IP. RH7.2 shipped with PostgreSQL 7.1, which is by default set up not
to listen on TCP/IP. You have to set up the proper settings in
/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf in order to get TCP/IP listening. This is
a security feature and not a bug. It was a bug that the RPM's for previous
PostgreSQL versions set TCP/IP listening to be the default.

2.) RH 7.2 by default sets up a firewall using ipchains that will prevent
TCP/IP connections to port 5432 anyway. You will have to specifically set up
an ipchains rule (in /etc/sysconfig/ipcahins, or by using lokkit) to allow
incoming TCP connections to port 5432. UDP on port 5432 is not necessary.

This is, again, a security feature, and is intentional behavior. See
/usr/shar/doc/postgresql-7.1.3/README.rpm-dist for more information.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio