Re: JDBC 3.0 / JDK 1.4 build issues

From: Ned Wolpert <wolpert(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Rene Pijlman <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC 3.0 / JDK 1.4 build issues
Date: 2001-12-09 15:38:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
--- Rene Pijlman <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl> wrote:
> OK, that may do the trick. But why is for example
> jdbc2/DatabaseMetaData.java a copy of
> jdbc1/DatabaseMetaData.java? Why isn't this done with
> inheritance to only add new methods in jdbc2?
>
> It seems to be the same for PreparedStatement, ResultSet etc. I
> see lots of duplicate code. Or am I missing something?

We may have more duplicated code then desired.  I can't explain about the
DatabaseMetaData stuff, if it could have been inherited or had to be
'forked'.  I'm sure that going from jdbc1 -> jdbc2 some classes could not
be inherited, like the case of the Connection class in jdbc3.  But if all
those classes didn't need to be forked for jdbc1->jdbc2, perhaps it was
done to simplify making changes.  (making jdbc2 changes, that is.)  Of
course, by doing this we have a problem of making changes in both
packages when a new bug is found.  This is why I like inheritance when
possible, versus forking.

=====
Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
wolpert(at)yahoo(dot)com |
_________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD

-- Place your commercial here --                      fnord