Re: History question

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: History question
Date: 2001-11-30 10:53:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:50:19AM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> While surfing through our web page I found some references about Postgres
> (the original Berkley project) starting as Ingres. Now I wonder whether we
> or let's say the original Postgres project still used Ingres or parts
> thereof.
> The original Postgres FAQ say
> Q.  What is the connection between POSTGRES and University Ingres?
> A.  There is none, aside from Prof. Stonebraker.  There is no
>     compatibility between the two software packages, and the research
>     projects had differing objectives
> This certainly sounds like these two are different projects by the same
> Prof.

Ingres      - 1982 -- 1985
            - Michael Stonebraker and Eugene Wong at UC-Berkeley
            - Ingres = Interactive Graphics and Retrieval System
            - original developed on PDP-11/45
            - original query language was QUEL

Postgres    - 1985(?) - 1994
            - based on Ingres
            - start with idea make Ingres more OO
            - the father was again Stonebraker

Postgres95  - 1994-1995
            - UC-Berkeley's students Jolly Chen and Andrew Yu

Mariposa    - based on Postgres95
            - keynote was specific non realtime replication
            - alive this project still?

PostgreSQL  - summer 1996
            - OpenSource

    * Ingres Corporation (set up Stonebraker?)
    * Robert Epstein from UC-Berkeley team set up Sybase
    * Paula Hawthorn from UC-Berkeley team set up
      Illustra Information Technologies Incorporated, now know as

 If I know (from some resources on web) M. Stonebraker work with/on
 Ingres, Illustra and Informix.

 By the way on the world exist two original branchs of SQL DB where is
 possible found inspiration of all DB:
    * System-R now know as DB2
    * Ingres (PostgreSQL, Informix)

 Do know some other good URL about DB history?

 Karel Zak  <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
 C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW,,