Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opens

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opens
Date: 2001-11-28 18:50:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> >> Is there a safe way to send username and password to psql?
>
> > The standard way I know of is to use 'expect' and wrap your psql call
> > around that.
>
> Didn't you break that by making psql read the password from /dev/tty?
> Or can 'expect' take control of /dev/tty?

Expect communicates with the process via pseudo-ttys, so it works fine.
Also, if it can't read /dev/tty, it will read from stdin.  At least that
is that standard way to do it.

getpass() docs said:

     The getpass() function displays a prompt to, and reads in a password
     from, /dev/tty. If this file is not accessible, getpass displays the
     prompt on the standard error output and reads from the standard input.