Re: Support for QNX6, POSIX IPC and PTHREAD-style locking

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Igor Kovalenko <Igor(dot)Kovalenko(at)motorola(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support for QNX6, POSIX IPC and PTHREAD-style locking
Date: 2001-11-27 16:30:25
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 10:49:31AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> writes:
> > ... submission for 7.3 (in about two weeks).
>
> That's probably overly optimistic; if things don't slip any more,
> it's still unlikely that we'll open the 7.3 branch for development
> before the first of the year.  Traditionally we don't make the branch
> immediately after release, because there are always a few bugs
> justifying a dot-1 release that somehow sneak through beta testing.
> It's easier to deal with these if we don't have to double-patch both
> current and stable branches.

I guess I was repeating something from earlier up the thread. However,
given how long this beta has been, we _might_ find very few things
to fix, so the 'double-patch' burden might be small. <finger crossed>
I know there are a lot of people holding patches for 7.3, as well. It
might be good to try to get it opened before the inter-holiday week,
since people often manage to find some free time then.

> However, the fact that we always end up having to make a dot-1 release
> is not for lack of trying.  The dot-0 release is *supposed* to be
> bulletproof.

And you've never got up to .16, that's for sure. ;-)

Ross