Re: Troublesome handling of dropped connection

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Troublesome handling of dropped connection
Date: 2001-11-27 15:27:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com> writes:
> > I had connected to a Postgresql database, running 7.1.3 on FreeBSD,
> > machine through ssh/psql. My machine crashed.
>
> > Upon restart of my machine I recconected to the database machine, again
> > ssh to the machine and then run psql.
>
> Did you look to see whether your old session had disconnected or not?

How would I see this from within psql?

> > The table I was loading data to at the time of the disconnection was
> > unresponsive.
>
> It sounds like your new session was waiting around for the old session
> to complete a transaction and release locks.

Is there anything I could have looked at to see this?
Right now this machine is in testing stages, but I waiting authorization
to start production. Once I go on production then I will have more
people/connections. More importantly, right now I am the only one that
goes in so I know exactly who is connected. When I go on production I
won't know who/when other users connect.

I can see how many postgresql sessions are running from top, but how would
I see what users are connected from within psql?

> You could have zapped the backend more cleanly by sending it a SIGINT.
> regards, tom lane

If there is a way to see who is connected on psql, is there a way to kill
a connection other than SIGINT?