Re: Support for QNX6, POSIX IPC and PTHREAD-style locking

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Igor Kovalenko <Igor(dot)Kovalenko(at)motorola(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support for QNX6, POSIX IPC and PTHREAD-style locking
Date: 2001-11-27 15:21:57
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:39:42PM -0600, Igor Kovalenko wrote:
> > Exceptions are
> > always made, but a new feature has never qualified for such an exception.
> >
> > "There will always be another release."
> Sure. I think I made it clear enough why I want it in 7.2. I also took away
> the most interesting part of patch since there were some valid logical
> objections against including it as is. I thought that would clear the way,
> but now I am presented with unbeatable 'this is untested' reason. Who do you
> think would be testing it if it was included in 7.3 or 8.0 for that matter?
> Not you, I suspect. That would be same old me probably and why do you think
> few weeks of testing by me and my fellows then will be somehow better than
> same testing we've done now?

Because if it _does_ break other peoples builds, it'll happen in an
unstable devlopment tree, which constitutes testing, and everyone just
says 'hmm, fix that'. If it gets in now, there's a chance it'll break
someone's build _no matter how much you've tested it_. If that happens
in a _stable release_, now we have a problem. PostgreSQL has a strong
track record of no 'brown paper bag' bugs in stable releases (well,
almost none). You seldom see a minor version number over 3 or 4, for
that reason. Logically 'proving' that your patch _couldn't possibly_
cause any problems has no impact on the matter: there are stranger build
environments out there than you've dreamed of, and someone has ported
PostgreSQL to most of them.

At this point, I'd suggest you yield gracefully: the core developers
don't want it right now, but have read your patch and given you valuable
feedback, to improve you submission for 7.3 (in about two weeks).

Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu
Executive Director                                  phone: 713-348-6166
Gulf Coast Consortium for Bioinformatics              fax: 713-348-6182
Rice University MS-39
Houston, TX 77005