Re: JDBC bug?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Colin Freas <cef6(at)georgetown(dot)edu>
Cc: Nate Gelbard <gelbardn(at)tripwire(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC bug?
Date: 2001-11-26 19:17:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> >> So does postgres not support mixed case in table names, or the backend
> >> does but the clients dont, or what?
> >
> >Well, we support mixed case identifiers, but they need to be
> >double-quoted, as you saw. The \d behavior looks correct. The jdbc
> >issue looks more complicated because we are forcing lowercase in the
> >jdbc code. Perhaps some jdbc folks can comment on that.
>
> I think Nate's being kind calling this an annoyance. I may have missed
> something in the docs, but I just spent a few frustrating hours confronting
> a similar issue with tables of mixed case. Everything was working correctly
> with my servlet, except when I referenced a column with a name like
> questionID in a where clause. Note the casing. I had no idea this is what
> was wrong until, other ideas exhausted, I recreated my query text with
> pgadmin's query wizard and it put quotes around everything in the SQL it
> generated.
>
> Is there a pqsql-jdbc log somewhere that this might have shown up? I was so
> sure it was my java code (which in the end it was, sort of :) I never
> bothered to check any Postgres logs. Would it have shown up somewhere
> there? Either way, personally, I think this isn't the best behavior. I
> don't want to get into a casing flame war, but, I would've expected an
> exception if it couldn't figure out what was happening with the where
> clause, something at least.

Yes, I agree, it clearly looks like a jdbc bug. If you have created
mixed-case identifiers, the jdbc toLower call make accessing it
impossible. If we can trust the case of the indentifier supplied, we
can just put double-quotes around it to preserve the case as passed to
the backend.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us