Oracle -> PostgreSQL ==> RAW -> ???

From: Ezra Epstein <akee(at)speakeasy(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Oracle -> PostgreSQL ==> RAW -> ???
Date: 2001-11-21 15:30:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I'm moving a database from Oracle to PostgreSQL. I use RAW (as in BINARY, as in BYTE(x) where x < 20) for quite a few columns that hold application generated keys, etc.

How do I represent a RAW in PostgreSQL. I'm too much of a newbie to know how to create my own type. BIT seems to be wrong. And BYTEA can't be it either as there are all sorts of restrictions on using BYTEAs for keys. Seems OIDs are for BLOBs and this are not large binary objects...

HELP!!! Answers, pointers, tips, doc refs, anything.

Thanks,

EE