why I must build vs. using the standard cygwin distribution

From: Francis Purcell <francis_purcell(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: jason(at)tishler(dot)net, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: why I must build vs. using the standard cygwin distribution
Date: 2001-11-12 13:17:43
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Hi Jason,

From an earlier message (not in reply to me), you ask:

>> BTW, why don't you use my pre-built PostgreSQL 7.1.3 that is part of
>> the standard Cygwin distribution?  Does it not meet your needs?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jason

I need to use pgTcl (and am interested in pgPython).  Thus, I have to build to create the pgTcl.dll.  For the record, I would *love* not to ever have to compile, configure and install postgresql again (especially looking at all the Tcl build errors that just popped up on my screen)!   I love the idea that postgres is part of cygwin...too bad it's incomplete for my needs.

BTW, do I need to be able to build the whole postgresql tree to use pgtcl?  (I.E., even if I had just the pgtcl.dll with the cygwin version of postgresql, I still can't register the pgTcl handler without a hook for tcl in postgres.exe, correct?).

Cheers,

Frank