problem to configure postgresql

From: Giuliano Castelli <giulcast(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem to configure postgresql
Date: 2001-11-08 14:41:57
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I tried to install PostgreSQL without success.

At the beginning I wrote:
./ipc-daemon --install-as-service
net start ipc-daemon
the computer correctly answer:
The Cygwin IPC Daemon service is starting.
The Cygwin IPC Daemon service was started
successfully.

Now if I try to configure PostgreSQL a bug occurs.

If I write:
./configure
the computer answer:
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking which template to use... win
checking whether to build with locale support... no
checking whether to build with recode support... no
checking whether to build with multibyte character
support... no
checking whether to build with Unicode conversion
support... no
checking for default port number... 5432
checking for default soft limit on number of
connections... 32
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
using CFLAGS=-O2
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration
problem: C compiler cannot creat
e executables.

and then it stops. I don't understand why because
cygipc runs, doesn't it?

the .log file contains:
This file contains any messages produced by compilers
while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes
a mistake.

configure:629: checking host system type
configure:655: checking which template to use
configure:818: checking whether to build with locale
support
configure:847: checking whether to build with recode
support
configure:877: checking whether to build with
multibyte character support
configure:929: checking whether to build with Unicode
conversion support
configure:960: checking for default port number
configure:994: checking for default soft limit on
number of connections
configure:1118: checking for gcc
configure:1231: checking whether the C compiler (gcc
) works
configure:1247: gcc -o conftest conftest.c 1>&5
configure:1273: checking whether the C compiler (gcc
) is a cross-compiler
configure:1278: checking whether we are using GNU C
configure:1287: gcc -E conftest.c
configure:1306: checking whether gcc accepts -g
configure:1349: checking whether the C compiler (gcc
-O2 ) works
configure:1365: gcc -o conftest -O2 conftest.c
-lcygipc 1>&5
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
cannot find -lcygipc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:

#line 1360 "configure"