Re: [jason@netspade.com: DatabaseMetaData.java.diff]

From: Jason Davies <jason(at)netspade(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [jason@netspade.com: DatabaseMetaData.java.diff]
Date: 2001-11-03 12:54:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave,

Here is yet another patch for DatabaseMetaData which does several things:
a) Currently an extra key is returned in both getExportedKeys() and getImportedKeys(). So a foreign key relationship, duplicate keys are returned. This has been fixed.
b) PK_NAME is now returned.
c) The whole SQL query has been optimized (no more ugly inner selects).
d) The getExportedKeys() and getImportedKeys() implementation has been put into a single getImportedExportedKeys() to save duplcating the code.
e) KEY_SEQ is now also returned.

There is however one problem to do with multiple foreign key columns. Should they be returned as a single row, separated by commas? Or returned in separate rows? By multiple foreign key columns I mean, "alter table ptable add constraint ptable_fkey foreign key (pcol1, pcol2) references ftable (fcol1, fcol2)".

I think returning separate rows is the most correct way to do it, assuming the SQL statement above is equivalent to 2 separate fkeys.

Any comments are welcome,

Jason

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:04:16PM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Jason,
>
> The current sources should be patched as per your patch. I also fixed
> jdbc1 so it would compile
>
> Dave

Jason Davies

jason(at)netspade(dot)com

Attachment Content-Type Size
DatabaseMetaData.diff text/plain 27.7 KB