Re: Problems connecting from pgAdmin II v1.1 build 59

From: Jason Wong <postgresql(at)gremlins(dot)com(dot)hk>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PgSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems connecting from pgAdmin II v1.1 build 59
Date: 2001-10-30 16:49:27
Lists: pgsql-novice
Josh

> Thanks for posting such a clear description of your problem.  It
> makes it much easier to provide advice.

I try my best :-)

> In the future, you may wish to join the PGSQL-ODBC list for this and
> similar problems relating to PgAdmin (there is a PGAdmin list, but
> last I checked it was dead).

Thanks, I'll check it out.

> Simple.  You've added the user to the password.file, but not to the
> database.  The error above is because the initial authentication
> succeeded, but that user has not been created in the database you are
> trying to connect to.

Yes, that was it. I've added the user and now I'm able to connect. The
docs (Admin Guide section 4.2) does seem rather vague on the need to
*have* a user created in pg_shadow. I was under the impression it was
optional if I had a password file.

> Other things to watch out for: 1) I don't believe that PgAdmin
> supports crypted passwords at this time.  You'll have to use
> cleartext.

I think you're right. The message about not being able to use crypted
passwords seemed to have come from pgAdmin itself and not the server.

thanks
--
Jason Wong
Gremlins Associates