Re: resend: Chinese sort order problem

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: renweili(at)csvw(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: resend: Chinese sort order problem
Date: 2001-10-29 12:26:19
Lists: pgsql-general

> hi all,
> I am shade to disturb people here again, but to my Question , i
> have not effective answer.
> it has been suffering me for 3 weeks.
>
> the problem is : How the Postgresql treet the Chinese Text Field
> sort(order by)?
> It seems always false sort order. but the MySQL does this very well.
>
> in my machine "select getdatabaseencoding();" returns "EUC_CN"
> and "\encoding" returns "EUC_CN" too.
> I have tested for "createdb -E EUC_CN / SQL_ASII / LATIN1" ,
> the option "EUC_CN" / "SQL_ASII" results same .
>
> I have also tried recompling the source with "configure
> --enable-locale --enable-multibyte=EUC_CN", it does no help.

You did not mention what is "false" and what is "correct" sort order.
So I'm not sure I understand you problem, but I experience similar
ones with Japanese on some Linux platforms. In my case the source of
the problem was broken locale database coming with Linux. After
re-building PostgreSQL WITHOUT --enable-locale, all problems were
gone.

Hope this helps.
--
Tatsuo Ishii