Re: FreeBSD upgrade causes performance degredation

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Peter Schmidt <peterjs(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FreeBSD upgrade causes performance degredation
Date: 2001-10-29 20:30:55
Lists: pgsql-admin
> FreeBSD 4.1 vs FreeBSD 4.4 on X86
> Postrgesql 7.03
>
> We are experiencing a siginficant drop in performance in some PostgreSQL
> database operations after upgrading FreeBSD 4.1 to FreeBSD 4.4. Database
> connections appear to be twice as slow while calling some of our own
> functions can take 10x longer.  Does anyone have any ideas why this is
> occurring?

When you say upgrading, how'd you upgrade?  Source upgrade, or is it a
build from scratch (CD install)?  If it's a build from scratch, I'd
run through tuning(7) and enable soft-updates if they're not already
on.  When you say it's slower, it sounds like disk-access is slower.
Have you tuned the postgresql config?  -sc