Re: Python interface and Money?

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: jmcgraw(at)databill(dot)com (Joel Mc Graw)
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python interface and Money?
Date: 2001-10-24 12:04:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Thus spake Joel Mc Graw
> I have a table that has a column of type money.  A query such as "select
> sum(document_amount) from foo" returns the correct result when executed
> from psql, yet the same query returns the wrong answer (it appears to be
> a rounding issue--something like "1234.9999999999...") when executed
> through PygreSQL.  Is there a workaround or a fix?

That sounds like a Python issue.  The correct value is passed to the
Python function as a string since it is always stored and delivered
correctly in the database.  That's sort of the point of the money type.

I have been thinking of creating a money type in Python so that this
won't happen but haven't got around to it yet.  In the meantime you
can always format it with "%.2f" to get the correct value displayed.

> While browsing the mailing list for an answer to this problem I found
> several references to the money type being deprecated.  Is that the
> problem?

They keep saying that DECIMAL should be used instead but they are not
exactly equivalent.  The MONEY type was originally written with locale
support and displays the local currency symbol.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net>   |  Democracy is three wolves                |  and a sheep voting on

pgsql-interfaces by date

Previous:From: Christof PetigDate: 2001-10-24 11:27:48
Subject: ECPG: Automatic Storage allocation for NULL-pointing output variables