Re: Where info on new releases?

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Where info on new releases?
Date: 2001-10-17 12:41:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Josh Berkus wrote:
> If you're concerned about knowing immediately as things develop,

Actually I am not trying to get the latest release (which is what I saw,
not version). Basically I follow PostgreSQL through the FreeBSD ports.
When the port maintainer updates it I then go to the postgreSQL site and
try to find what is new.

> Even better, how about becomeing involved in contributing to the
> project?

I am a firm believer in distribution of task. My current project with
PostgreSQL is trying to convince my boss to use it. With the kind of money
we pay for Hardware to run Oracle + License we could have hired someone
full time to work on enhancing PostgreSQL. I have been working on my own
time and staying extra hours to create a PostgreSQL setup with a supset of
our data to be able to use it for certain reports and some data cleanup.

My boss already told me he wanted to take a look at what I have so far.

> Remember, this is Open Source -- not television.

Yes. In TV one can easily convince one's boss to go with the right tool
and not have people to go with Oracle "because it has large market share
and they will be around". No mention of quality of product OR service. I
just even saw an article last night of a couple of companies having
serious issues with Oracle support and going to the extreme of not paying
the support bills until things get fixed.