pgsql/src bin/psql/Makefile bin/psql/print.c t ...

From: ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql/src bin/psql/Makefile bin/psql/print.c t ...
Date: 2001-10-15 01:25:11
Lists: pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:	/cvsroot
Module name:	pgsql
Changes by:	ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org	01/10/14 21:25:10

Modified files:
	src/bin/psql   : Makefile print.c
	src/test/mb/expected: unicode.out
Added files:
	src/bin/psql   : mbprint.c

Log message:
	Commit Patrice's patches except:

	> - corrects a bit the UTF-8 code from Tatsuo to allow Unicode 3.1
	>  characters (characters with values >= 0x10000, which are encoded on
	>  four bytes).

	Also, update mb/expected/unicode.out. This is necessary since the
	patches affetc the result of queries using UTF-8.
	Hi,

	I should have sent the patch earlier, but got delayed by other stuff.
	Anyway, here is the patch:

	- most of the functionality is only activated when MULTIBYTE is
	defined,

	- check valid UTF-8 characters, client-side only yet, and only on
	output, you still can send invalid UTF-8 to the server (so, it's
	only partly compliant to Unicode 3.1, but that's better than
	nothing).

	- formats with the correct number of columns (that's why I made it in
	the first place after all), but only for UNICODE. However, the code
	allows to plug-in routines for other encodings, as Tatsuo did for
	the other multibyte functions.

	- corrects a bit the UTF-8 code from Tatsuo to allow Unicode 3.1
	characters (characters with values >= 0x10000, which are encoded on
	four bytes).

	- doesn't depend on the locale capabilities of the glibc (useful for
	remote telnet).

	I would like somebody to check it closely, as it is my first patch to
	pgsql.  Also, I created dummy .orig files, so that the two files I
	created are included, I hope that's the right way.

	Now, a lot of functionality is NOT included here, but I will keep that
	for 7.3 :) That includes all string checking on the server side (which
	will have to be a bit more optimised ;) ), and the input checking on
	the client side for UTF-8, though that should not be difficult. It's
	just to send the strings through mbvalidate() before sending them to
	the server. Strong checking on UTF-8 strings is mandatory to be
	compliant with Unicode 3.1+ .

	Do I have time to look for a patch to include iso-8859-15 for 7.2 ?
	The euro is coming 1. january 2002 (before 7.3 !) and over 280
	millions people in Europe will need the euro sign and only iso-8859-15
	and iso-8859-16 have it (and unfortunately, I don't think all Unices
	will switch to Unicode in the meantime)....

	err... yes, I know that this is not every single person in Europe that
	uses PostgreSql, so it's not exactly 280m, but it's just a matter of
	time ! ;)

	I'll come back (on pgsql-hackers) later to ask a few questions
	regarding the full unicode support (normalisation, collation,
	regexes,...) on the server side :)

	Here is the patch !

	Patrice.

	--
	Patrice HD ------------------------------- patrice  islande org -----
	--  Isn't it weird  how scientists  can imagine  all the matter of the

pgsql-committers by date

Next:From: tglDate: 2001-10-15 02:02:07