Re: Showing index details with \d on psql

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Showing index details with \d on psql
Date: 2001-10-13 04:48:16
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > I like the idea of this but the format, as you say, could use
> > improvement. Can I recommend having a "*" next to the columns
> > involved in the index and have the column names listed next to
> > the index names? That would look better and be clearer, I think.
>
> Agreed - it's probably more intuitive for someone to ask
> "is this column in an index?" and "what does this index cover?"
> rather than "which index is this column in?" Attached patch is
> against 7.1.2. As a side benfit, it does multiple stars for
> columns that belong to multiple indices, which is a nice feature
> to be able to spot right away.

Looks very good. I have attached the describe.c file from current CVS.
Can I ask you to submit a patch against this file? Seems there have
been some coding style improvements since 7.2 and I would like your
patch to match. Notice the use of the _() macro. Also, looks like we
have a PRIMARY KEY section in the code now. Please figure out how your
patch mixes in with that.

Also, can you send over sample output from the new patch. Thanks.

I am uncertain if I can get this into 7.2 because we are so close to
beta. This is shaping up into a nice psql addition.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 26.2 KB