Re: [Q] Can't get simple JDBC connection to work: "no suitable driver"

From: Liam Stewart <liams(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Amandeep Jawa <deep(at)worker-bee(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Q] Can't get simple JDBC connection to work: "no suitable driver"
Date: 2001-10-12 15:33:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Try changing the connection url to the following:

"jdbc:postgresql:test"

This should do the trick. postgres is not a valid subprotocol which explains
the error message that you're getting. postgresql is the only subprotocol
recognized by the PostgreSQL JDBC driver.

Liam

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:28:06PM -0700, Amandeep Jawa wrote:
> (PLEASE email any replies to me directy as well as posting)
>
> Hey folks -
>
> I hope someone can help. I'm trying to get a VERY simple JDBC connection
> working with the JDBC drivers but I am consistently getting a "no suitable
> driver" error.
>
> I am trying a very very simple test program to access my little PostgreSQL
> database & I am using the jdbc driver: jdbc7.1-1.2.jar (binary downloaded
> from www.postgresql.org).
>
> The error I'm getting is:
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver
> at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:537)
> at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:177)
> at testpost.main(testpost.java:14)
>

> The command I'm running is:
>
> java -cp /usr/share/pgsql/jdbc7.1-1.2.jar testpost
>
> The code is:
>
> // testpost.java
>
> import java.sql.*;
>
> public class testpost
> {
>
> public static void main(String argv[]) throws Exception
> {
> System.out.println("Beginning Postgres Test");
> Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
>
> System.out.println("Loaded Driver.");
> Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
> "jdbc:postgres:test",
> "postgres",
> "notreallymypassword"
> );
>
> System.out.println("Got connection.");
> /* COMMENTED OUT UNTIL I KNOW THE REST WORKS
> Statement stmt = conn.createStatement();
> ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT now();");
>
> System.out.println("Ran now query..\nResults:\n");
> while (rset.next())
> {
> System.out.println(rset.getString(1));
> }
>
> rset.close();
> stmt.close();
> */
> conn.close();
>
> System.out.println("Closed connection & Ended Test");
>
> }
>
> }
>

> The ouput I get is:
>
> Beginning Postgres Test
> Loaded Driver.
> Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver
> at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:537)
> at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:177)
> at testpost.main(testpost.java:14)
>
> I'm using postgres 7.1.3 installed from RPMs (from Postgres) on Red Hat
> Linux 7.1 with Sun's jdk 1.3.1 also installed from RPMs (from Sun).
>
> I have a "postgres" user on my machine. I have made the database "test".
> Not that I think these things matter because it doesn't seem to be getting
> that far. I am starting the postgres server from the root user with the
> following command:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
> & it seems to be starting fine. I have also turned on tcp-ip connections in
> [...]

Liam Stewart :: Red Hat Canada, Ltd. :: liams(at)redhat(dot)com