Linking against null-fields.

From: Alexander Deruwe <a(at)deruwe(dot)be>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Linking against null-fields.
Date: 2001-10-09 13:24:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hey all,

I'm sorry if this question came up before, I couldn't find it in the
archives..

Suppose I have two tables:

table File: contains alot of fields + 'driver' field, which refers to another
table. I did not 'reference' it when creating the database because
null-values have to be possible for this field.

Now, if in this File-table the field 'driver' is not filled in, the row will
not be included in a query such as this one:

SELECT f.ID, d.NAME FROM FILE f, DRIVER d WHERE (d.ID = f.DRIVER);

However, the only reason I have this query set up as this is to get the name
of the driver easily, if one is set.

How can this be helped? Should I just get the driver ID as a field, and then
do a second query on that?

Thanks,

Alexander Deruwe