Re: Bug #474: Index using problem

From: Andreas Wernitznig <andreas(at)insilico(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #474: Index using problem
Date: 2001-10-05 22:37:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I don't know how the primary key checking and the index scan are related in postgresql (but I am keen to learn more about it).
>From Sybase ASA (SQL Anywhere) I know, that these two functions (pk checking, index search) are decoupled.
(that means even a primary key without an index is possible. This makes only sense in tables with a few rows).

The pg-planner takes the current number of datasets to calculate a query plan to reach the best performance.
If the number of datasets changes (and the user/db-programmer usually knows if it changes) the planner sometimes make wrong decisions.
Then I have to execute a "vacuum analyze" or reconnect in case of foreign key checking.

I would like to tune postgresql to use an index in any case if it is available.

On Fri, 05 Oct 2001 18:01:08 -0400