Re: CVS changes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Summerfield <pgtest(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS changes
Date: 2001-10-02 16:14:10
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> > > Would it not be better to provide a means for developers to cause the rebuild on demand? A 15-minute wait doesn't seem convenient to me.
> >
> > Yep, but it takes 15 minutes to build anyway, so I figured I would check
> > very 15 minutes and adding another 15, that makes 1/2 hour. We don't
> > have a mechanism to build only a few html files. You have to do the
> > whole thing.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> I don't know enough about how it works (or doesn't), but the
> delay looks worse.
>
> Add the delay for "missing the bus" and you're out to a 45-minute
> delay.

True.

> The need for on-demand is even greater, even something done
> crudely:
>
> If a build's in process, flag the need.

Added. I realized that I could have two running at the same time, which
would be a disaster.

> When the build completes, check if it has to be done again.

Great idea! Added.

> I assume that updates aren't so frequent that you'd be constantly
> rebuilding, or so infrequently a missed rebuild would cause
> serious problems.

Yep.

> Perhaps a way to check if a rebuild's in process so that if it's
> slower than usual a developer can see it's not forgotten (or
> who else is doing one).

Script attached. I could poll cvs more frequently but it seems rude to
hit the cvs server more frequently than every 15 minutes. If people
want it polled more frequently, and Marc doesn't mind, I can change the
polling interval here.

Also, I added something that will show the files modified in the current
build.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size