Re: Spinlock performance improvement proposal

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Chamanya <chamanya(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spinlock performance improvement proposal
Date: 2001-10-01 08:23:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 06:48:56PM +0530, Chamanya wrote:

> Number of threads should be equal to or twice that of number of CPUs. I don't
> think more than those many threads would yield any performance improvement.

 This expects that thread still runnig, but each process (thread) sometime
waiting for disk, net etc. During this time can runs some other thread.
 Performance of program not directly depends on number of CPU, but on
type of a work that execute thread. The important thing is how you can
split a work to small and independent parts.

	Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/