Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: gnudev(at)ozemail(dot)com(dot)au
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster
Date: 2001-09-30 15:23:09
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

James,

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 06:25:34PM +1000, gnudev(at)ozemail(dot)com(dot)au wrote:
> Problem is, I keep getting "Error: descriptor <blah> is a file descriptor, not
> a socket"

Are you using 9x/Me? I have see other posts reporting similar error
messages on these platforms. BTW, what version of Cygwin are you using?
If you are not using 1.3.3, then please upgrade.

> Does postgresql actually work on Cygwin or is it just an experiment at the
> moment?
>
> It seems to be as buggy as hell.

Essentially all of my Cygwin PostgreSQL experience is on NT 4.0 and 2000.
IMO, Cygwin PostgreSQL works quite well on these platforms. In fact,
Terry Carlin from the now defunct GreatBridge, reported very decent
performance results. See the following for details:

http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1035232

However, YMMV especially under 9x/Me.

Jason