Re: authentication problems

From: Stefan Huber <looseleaf(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: authentication problems
Date: 2001-09-30 08:32:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

>Hmmm. Perhaps the host line working fine for ip connections as well,
>but something is going wrong in the JDBC-specific ip connections. Is
>there a way to make a local ip connection instead of a UNIX socket
>connection with psql?
As Tom already said, the "host local allow" line has nothing to do with TCP/IP.

But if you want to explicitly specify a hostname, then use "-h <machinename>" or "-h <ip-adress>" as parameter to psql.

So what do the following commands return?
$ psql -h localhost testdb
(should be OK)

$ psql -h 127.0.0.1 testdb
(should be OK)

$ psql -h <ip-adress-of-machine> testdb
(should be rejected)

Maybe a stupid question, but does MacOS have the same path-format as Un*ces? (You wrote about connecting to your DB via JDBC from a MacOS (on another machine?), or did I misinterpret that?)

And you said that you never had to specify the host you connect to in your JDBC connect statement. Usually this is a "host=" parameter. I've never used JDBC, but ODBC, Pg, ADO (via ODBC), ...

You posted an error message:
>The error message I get is:
>No entry in pg_hba.conf_file for 169.245.10.10 [or whatever ip
>address I happen to be using at the time] for user: postgres
>database: testdb

How exactly did you connect to your DB and from which computer?

Stefan